In single file a half-dozen, or so, of Catholic Sisters dedicated to the Holy Eucharist, marched into St. Roch Catholic Church in Caseville, MI., yesterday, heading directly to two parishioners who were preparing a space in the parish hall for a sock hop Friday night.
Initially, as I drove past the Thumb Michigan edifice, the black and white veil encompassing the smiling faces of the Eucharistic nuns grabbed my attention on M-25, just west of Port Austin, MI., where my older brother, Bob, resides.
At first, I wondered where the marker was, but at second glance, I noticed that the Saginaw Dicoese church name was changed to Mother of Perpetual Help Church.
The good sisters announced their plight: No Mass at St. Michael (also a different name now) Church in Port Austin, and, is there Mass here at St. Rochs, they inquired of the curious women working in the church hall as more people flocked to see the array of black and white veils and long robes - not a usual sight anywhere these days.
Got to hand it to the Sisters, nevertheless.
They were determined to find a church with Mass. And, they were making a statement, for sure.
Supplying the Sacraments, including Mass, is an endangered species, so to speak.
"I will have Mass for you," I spoke up, "if we can use the church."
Smiles of pure innocence and joy turned toward me, and, we all marched in single file to the altar of God annexed to the hall.
What a delightful experience of prayer, I thought, with wonderful women of God who engaged in "full, active and conscious participation," just as the historic ecumenical Vatican Council II urged the global Catholic Church (1962-65), and, then some.
Surprised as they were, so was I as I reflected on the statement they were quietly and humbly making about supplying the holy sacraments to the faithful.
Hierarchs, listen up, please! The faithful need the Eucharist.
No comments:
Post a Comment