Toward the end of his morning Mass last week, the 84-year-old French priest Father Jacques Hamel, was murdered. Ever since, that priest has been on my mind, in my heart, and in my prayer.
I wondered why. And, I could only conclude that Father made the ultimate sacrifice with his life.
When I was ordained four decades ago, little did I think that the life of a priest could be taken in such a horrific way.
All I know is that the life of a priest is one called to the service of love that alone triumphs. No hate, anger, or protestation defines the ultimate sacrifice one may may make sooner or later. Only love can do that.
This priest's sacrifice shows that the love of Jesus took on human flesh and the incarnation of God.
Father was a witness to love, to forgiveness, and to surrendering life, for sure.
While much of the world seems unsure of what to do in the face of so many murdered people, the lone answer seems to be love.
No comments:
Post a Comment